ORCA— Opportunities in Research and Creative Arts — is a CCNY program that seeks to engage students in cutting-edge research, scholarship, and creativity at City College. The program provides an opportunity to work closely with a member of the City College full-time faculty in a 10-week summer immersion program. ORCA does not provide course credit but does provide financial support in the form of a stipend and a supply budget.
Students are required to present their projects in the form of a poster, web-page, or video presentation at the ORCA symposium held the fall.
If you have any questions, please contact the ORCA Project team at email@example.com .
HOW TO APPLY
Choice of Mentor:
Undergraduates at any point in their studies who have completed their first year (or equivalent), have a CCNY grade point average of at least 3.0, and will be enrolled at City College in Summer or Fall 2023 are eligible for the summer ORCA program.
Review of applications will start on March 15, 2023 and will continue until positions are filled
1. A brief description of experience relevant to the project, career goals, and reasons for applying to the ORCA program (250 words)
2. A project proposal (500 words), written by the student in consultation with the faculty mentor. This should include a description of the work that will be done and its aims, as well as the larger research agenda to which it contributes
3. An itemized budget of up to $500 for the project. The budget should include explanations for each item, detailing why it is essential to the project
4. A copy of your transcript (uploaded as part of the application)
5. After the student applicant submits an application, faculty advisors will receive an email requesting a one-page letter of support from the faculty mentor, indicating willingness to supervise the project, detailing experience with the student, and evaluating the student’s qualifications for the project
Applications must be complete to considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to confirm that the faculty member submits the letter of support.